Servings, about 1 cup each
Active Time: 25 minutes Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 1/2 pounds potatoes, preferably Yukon Gold, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 cup chopped leeks, washed
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Place potatoes in a saucepan and cover with cold salted water. Bring to a boil and cook, partially covered, until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine leeks and milk in another saucepan. Bring to a simmer over low heat. Cook, partially covered, stirring occasionally, until the leeks are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and return them to the pan. With a potato masher, mash until smooth. Stir in oil and the warm leeks and milk. Season with salt and pepper.
Per serving: 213 calories; 4 g fat ( 1 g sat , 3 g mono ); 4 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 2 g fiber; 192 mg sodium; 40 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (60% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat