Global Perspective: MHA/MBA grad’s story reflects Webster’s international connections

| May 8, 2015
Debhuti with MCISA

Debhuti Roy (center) took advantage of multiple leadership opportunities while earning her graduate degree at Webster.

As commencement ceremonies take place this weekend and through the summer at Webster University campuses around the world, there are truly thousands of stories about how each of this year’s 6,574 graduates from 110 countries came to, and succeeded at, Webster University.

One of them is India native Debhuti Roy, a student leader who came to St. Louis — where Webster was founded in 1915 — after hearing about this global university from friends who studied at its Geneva and Thailand campuses. Roy is graduating with with the MHA and MBA dual degree in 2015.

Growing up in Calcutta, India, Roy saw the benefits of global travel by watching her father’s career.

“My whole reason for studying in another country is my father – he was a professional cricket player,” Roy said. “He retired from playing cricket in 1993 but has continued to be professionally involved in other roles. Growing up there were times when I could only see him a week out of every month because he was traveling with the team. He would travel year-round and he has seen so many other countries. Because of that, he always pushed me to study abroad because he knew it will expose you to another culture and that you truly get a grasp of how the world is.”

At 18, Roy moved from India to Allentown, Pennsylvania, for an undergraduate degree in microbiology. After graduating and doing a year of research work at Kutztown University, she decided to attend Webster University.

“I had heard good things about the MHA and MBA dual degree,” said Roy. “Also, one of my very close friends went to Webster’s Geneva campus and I have quite a few friends who were studying in the Thailand campus and they all really enjoyed their experience.”

Read her full story at webster.edu.

See more facts about the Class of 2015 at the Commencement page. Full information about the main ceremony May 9 at The Muny is also available at the Commencement page.

Tags: ,