Kinematifest 8: Visual Effects Artist, Alumna Kristin Pratt to Deliver Keynote Address

| April 23, 2015
Visual effects mammoth. Photo courtest MPC.

Webster University alumna Kristin Pratt helps create new worlds through visual effects. This visual effects mammoth was part of work on the HBO series Game of Thrones. Photo courtesy Moving Picture Company.

Webster University alumna Kristin Pratt helps create new worlds through visual effects.

Pratt

Fans of the popular HBO drama Game of Thrones know the show doesn’t skimp on the budget, and the season four episode “The Watchers on the Wall” was the show’s most expensive to date. For close to an hour, viewers were captivated by a fierce battle fought between hundreds of thousands of soldiers, giants and wooly mammoths. One of the magicians behind the battle, Kristin Pratt, is a 2010 graduate of Webster University’s School of Communications.

“Game of Thrones really gave me an opportunity to spread my wings in a way I hadn’t before,” said Pratt. “There was such a fast turnaround, and it all had to be very high quality work. Couple that with the layout team just being myself and my lead and you have a recipe for an intense few months. There were a lot of late nights where I was tackling shots and throwing ideas at the wall just to see what sticks. My lead and VFX supervisor were really great at not only facilitating me but also letting me take the reigns on senior level work. I have them to thank for really pushing me to the next level on that project.”

In the five years since Pratt received a degree in Animation from Webster she has worked on not only that episode of Game of Thrones but also Hollywood blockbusters such as Maleficent, Godzilla, Guardians of the Galaxy and The Lone Ranger, which received an Academy Award nomination for visual effects.

To view more of Pratt’s work, view her reel.

Keynote Speaker
Kinematifest Saturday, April 25

Pratt, who currently works as a layout technical director at Double Negative in Vancouver, will be discussing her visual effects experiences as the keynote speaker for Kinematifest 8, Webster University’s International Animation and Interactive Media festival. She will talk about her career and focusing on computer graphic (CG) layout work for the 2014 blockbuster Godzilla. Pratt will speak at 4 p.m. on Saturday, April 25, in the Sverdrup Building, room 123.

Pratt credits her education at Webster along with her post-graduate education at Vancouver Film School (VFS) with helping her on the successful start to her career.

Being invited as the keynote speaker has given Pratt an opportunity to reflect on her time at Webster. “Each class and mentor at Webster shaped me in different says,” she said. “Josh DiCarlo’s classes were critical in the first stages of what would be my career. Kristen DiFate really developed my eye for good design, Larry Baden impacted my character more than anything else and Michael Long kept me passionate about animation.”

To see the full schedule of Kinematifest events and speakers, visit the event website.

Read the full story, “Starting Wars & Making Monsters,” at the news room on webster.edu.

Tags: