Teaching Festival Preview: ‘Paper, Scissors, Pictures and Words: Literary Scrapbooks’ Feb. 18

| February 10, 2015
Teaching Festival: Literary Scrapbooks

Working with scrapbook materials forged new connections between students and the literature

This year’s Webster University Teaching Festival, which runs Feb. 16-20, offers a variety of events related to the scholarship of teaching and learning facilitated by Webster faculty, staff and students.

One topic: The use of scrapbooks to foster students’ personalized connections with course content.

Meg Sempreora will lead a session on that topic, “Paper, Scissors, Pictures and Words: Literary Scrapbooks,” on Wednesday, Feb. 18, noon – 1 p.m. in the Faculty Development Center.

Sempreora, professor of English in the College of Arts & Sciences, describes her process like this:

“I read a book called ‘Writing with Scissors’ by Ellen Gruber Garvey about the role of scrapbooks in selectively recording and thus personalizing American history. I decided to assigned scrapbook-making as a kind of illustrated reader’s journal in my ‘Women Create Women in Literature’ course. I supplied book-making materials—ring binders, colored paper, clear protective sheets—so that throughout the semester, my students might record and illustrate their responses to the works they were reading.

“I gave few instructions as to content and composition, so the books were unique to each student, with the only common thread being our authors—Austen, Bronte, Eliot, Woolf, etc. When the students shared the books at semester’s end, the personal connections they had forged to the literature became connections between students; and the emotional energy generated by their creations was thrilling.”

RSVP for this and other Teaching Festival sessions here.

Other Festival Previews

See the full schedule of Teaching Festival events and descriptions here.

Tags: , , ,