Webster University Faculty Member Sworn in as Federal Judge

| May 7, 2014
Webster faculty sworn in as federal judge

Assistant Professor Robin Jefferson Higgins, J.D., Judge Noelle Collins, Associate Professor Anne Geraghty-Rathert, J.D., and Associate Professor Tena Hart, J.D.

Webster adjunct faculty member and U.S. Magistrate Judge Noelle C. Collins was sworn in as a United States Magistrate Judge for the Eastern District of Missouri during a public ceremony on April 11, 2014.

“Even though I was happy as a federal prosecutor, I was thankful and elated by the news that I was selected to serve as a judge,” Collins said. “I was also humbled, which is a feeling that I experience daily because the work is serious and important. My decisions can have life-altering consequences for the litigants.”

Chief District Court Judge Catherine Perry conducted a private swearing in ceremony for Judge Collins at the end of November 2013 just before her official start date of December 1, 2013. She was chosen from a pool of candidates by judges serving on the court. She has served the Eastern District of Missouri since 2004, both as special assistant U.S. attorney and then as an assistant U.S. attorney specializing in the prosecution of human trafficking crimes.

Faculty and staff from the Legal Studies department attended the ceremony.

“Students love her classes,” said Robin Higgins, assistant professor and chair of the legal studies department. “She’s taught courses on criminal actions and introduction to law. Because she’s worked on eradicating human trafficking in the St. Louis area, we would love for her to teach a course regarding that area of law.”

Read the full story in the news room at webster.edu.

Tags: ,