Webster Biology Student Named to Prestigious Fellowship

| April 4, 2013
Webster University Biology

Recognizing her strengths in plant biology, Powers’ professors urged her to apply for the fellowship.

It seemed like a routine class needed for a bachelor’s degree in biology. But for Samantha Powers, it was a life-changing course.

Powers, a junior at Webster University, was named as one of only 15 students in the United States granted a Student Undergraduate Research Fellowship from the American Society of Plant Biologists (ASPB). She will conduct research this summer for the national organization.

Powers credits the one-on-one mentorship from her professors at Webster for helping her qualify for the prestigious appointment.

Webster University softball

Powers also plays for Webster’s softball team.

“I believe that one of Webster’s greatest strengths, and the one that ultimately led to me getting this fellowship, is the personal relationship that faculty and students are able to share at Webster,” Powers said.

“Over the past three years, I have been able to form connections and relationships with many of my professors in the Biology department. It’s extremely reassuring to be surrounded by so many people who are so consistently committed to seeing you succeed. I can’t say enough about the entire faculty and staff of the biology department.”

Read more about Powers, her professors, and how she received the fellowship at webster.edu.

Tags: , ,