Spring is tax season in the United States. The Multicultural Center and International Student Affairs (MCISA) hosts several tax workshops each year in March and April to assist international students at Webster University, St. Louis, Missouri campus to file their income taxes in order to be in compliance with U.S. tax laws. However, filing federal income tax forms is the personal responsibility of each international student.
How is Webster University going to help me file taxes?
Webster University purchased Foreign National Tax Resource (FNTR) for you to use in preparing your U.S. federal income tax return and your Missouri State tax return. You will need an access code to use the Foreign National Tax Resource. We will be giving these codes out at the tax workshop to assist you in filing your tax returns.
If you have filed taxes before and think you can do it on your own, please email Bethany Keller at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will email you your access code. Using FNTR is much easier than manually filling a return.
What do I Need to Bring to File Taxes?
- Visa/Immigration Status information, including Form DS-2019 (if J status) or Form I-20 (if F status) and I-94 card (and all prior I-20s or DS2019s for past years) (NOTE: Print your I-94 card online at www.cbp.gov/I94)
- Social Security Number or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (if you have been assigned one)
- Address Information (BOTH your current U.S. Address and Foreign Address)
- U.S. Entry and Exit Dates for current and all past visits to the U.S.
- Academic Institution or Host Sponsor Information
- Forms W-2, 1042-S and/or 1099 (if you received any)
- A copy of your past year’s federal income tax return (Form 1040NRor 1040NR-EZ), if you filed one
- Your personal checks (if you are able to get a refund, it is best that you get it sent to you by direct deposit to your bank account instead of waiting for a check)
Student Employees and the Foreign National Information System (FNIS)
All on campus student employees who are non-US citizens are required to submit immigration information and documentation through the Foreign National Information System (FNIS). You should receive notice from Student Employment and the Payroll Office to submit your immigration records online in FNIS (a secure online system). Please complete these requirements in a timely manner to ensure your tax withholding is on file properly. Students eligible for tax treaty benefits should have an 8233 Form on file with Payroll each year.
The following links are not part of Webster University, Multicultural Center and International Student Affairs (MCISA). When you click on the links below, you will be leaving the MCISA Web site and opening a different website. These links are provided for informational purposes only. If you have any question related to your specific tax issues, please contact Bethany Keller at email@example.com or 314-246-7649 directly.