Employee Spotlight: Debbie West focuses on service, solutions

| April 27, 2015
West

West

Her role may be “behind the scenes,” but it doesn’t take long for people on the Webster Groves campus to recognize Debbie West as a diligent and positive member of the Webster University Department of Public Safety.

West, the parking administrator at the home campus, has worked in the Public Safety Department for 15 years. Just about everyone who has ever purchased a parking tag has run across her at one time or another.

She began working as an officer on the evening shift and moved into an office manager/supervisory position. As the department expanded, she found her niche in parking, where she has made this often-stressful task an important and essential customer service extension of the Department of Public Safety.

That attention to detail and service earned her the Employee Spotlight Award.

A Part of Something Bigger, More Diverse

“I enjoy meeting all of the different people that pass through our office and being able to help anyone I can,” she said. “Webster is one of the best places and the longest place I have ever worked. Having worked in the Security field my entire professional life, I find Webster as a chance to be part of something bigger and more diverse than anything I’ve done in the past.”

West handles the daily activities for the entire parking program on campus. Her job duties include everything from designing and purchasing parking tags; coding and distributing tags to the appropriate categories and appropriate groups; handling parking inquiries, registrations and generally running the insurmountable task of maintaining the university parking program single highhandedly amid the thousands of tags, registrations and complaints.

According to her nominator, West’s most important asset is her ability to be patient with new and sometimes frustrated students and staff who have receive parking tickets. “It takes a considerable amount of skill to listen to complaints on a daily basis and still talk people down from their frustration and come to reasonable solutions,” her nominator said.

A Passion for Travel

Outside of her position at Webster, West has a strong passion for travel. “I love learning about new places and experiencing new things. The history of a place makes it all the more exciting to me and I love trying the local cuisine.”

West was truly humbled by the (Employee Spotlight) nomination, “I am used to working behind the scenes, and it is nice to be recognized for the work you do,” she said. “I really do appreciate it.”

Tags: , ,