March 18: Scott Jensen Pi Kappa Delta Hall of Fame Induction Reception

| February 25, 2015
Jensen

Jensen

Scott Jensen, professor of Speech Communication Studies and director of Forensics in the School of Communications, will be inducted the Pi Kappa Delta Hall of Fame. Jensen is one of only two recipients to have received this honor while still being an active member of Pi Kappa Delta (PKD), the nation’s largest and oldest collegiate forensic honor society.

Webster’s School of Communications invite faculty, staff and students to a congratulatory reception for Jensen, in recognition of this honor. The reception will be held in the Library Conference Room on Wednesday, March 18, from 3-4:30 p.m.

“This is the absolute highest honor I could ever receive,” said Jensen. “Pi Kappa Delta has been the most influential organization in my career. It’s mission and philosophy serve as the focus for my programs and how I approach forensic education. To be recognized with their highest honor is humbling and gratifying beyond words.”

Jensen first joined PKD as an undergraduate competitor in 1981. He is currently in his 30th year of forensic teaching and coaching. Jensen was nominated because of the variety of accomplishments and history he has had with PKD, which include:

• Past national PKD president
  • Host/co-host of five national tournaments
  • Directed 13 PKD national tournaments
  • Guest editor of PKD national refereed academic journal The Forensic
  • Published in several issues of The Forensic and other national forensic journals
  • Presented several forensic and debate papers at regional and national conferences, including several on PKD sponsored panels
  • Coached seven All-Americans and several PKD national champions
  • Coached the second place team at the 2003 national tournament

As an active coach, his nomination required 100 percent approval of the 11-person national council who awards the honor.

Jensen also keeps in mind the many people who have helped him. “To be honored in this way is also a testament to the staff and students with whom I have been blessed over the past 30 years,” he said. “I have been able to work with the most gifted students, and with dedicated professionals I am proud to call friends and colleagues. I can’t accept an award like this without knowing it is shared by many others in my life.”

About Pi Kappa Delta

Pi Kappa Delta is an honorary of educators, students and alumni that supports a broad diversity of speech and debate events, forms and formats, and works to nurture the institutional and financial capacity of the entire forensic community.

Additional information on Pi Kappa Dela is available online.

Tags: ,

Comments (1)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. Jennifer Gammage says:

Big congratulations and so well deserved!!!!