Snapshots: December Toast salutes mid-year graduates

| December 22, 2014
December Toast 2014

President Stroble and Provost Schuster gave formal remarks before graduates at the December Toast celebrated with a reception in the East Academic Building.

Friday night was marked by smiles and congratulations for a job well done as Webster University mid-year graduates were saluted with their family and friends at the third annual December Toast.

This special event is for graduates who finished their degree requirements in August, October and December, though all are welcome and encouraged to attend the annual commencement ceremony in May.

President Elizabeth (Beth) J. Stroble welcomed the crowd of more than 400, reflecting on the year, their path to a degree, and the many family and friends who supported them.

Stroble read aloud from letter sent to her by a graduate student in San Antonio, Sandra Altamirano-Pickell, which touched on the influence her mother had on her education from humble beginnings in this country, and the scholarship she received to support her studies:

“Mom would say, ‘There are times to give and times to receive.’ Mom focused on giving and on paying it forward, and she is my hero. She taught me the true meaning of courage, compassion and respect.

“I started college with a goal. … I was going to utilize the material things to provide a better life for those that provided for me, my parents.  My goal has changed.  I will utilize courage, compassion and respect to help others. Mom was right. There are times to give and times to receive. It is time that I pay it forward. Thank you for this gift and for being part of my journey.”

Provost, Senior Vice President and Chief Operating Officer Julian Schuster encouraged the graduates and families to cherish this moment and the decisions they have made to achieve their degree. “For all of us at Webster this is a proud day yet bittersweet day: We are sorry to see you go. And yet we are so proud and happy to see where you will go next.”

Charles Hahn, vice president for Advancement, then welcomed the graduates to the Webster University Alumni Association, where they join an elite global network of more than 172,000 accomplished and connected citizens.

Webster students and recent grads provided the live music before the ceremony in the Community Music School and at the reception afterward in the East Academic Building.

See more photos of the event in this album on Facebook.

Tags: ,