Hunt Gallery Opening: Alumna Francisco’s ‘Learning to Play’ Jan. 31

| January 31, 2014
Learning to Play

The exhibit will run from Jan. 31 to March 1 at the Hunt Gallery.

The new exhibit at the Cecille R. Hunt Gallery at Webster University is Learning to Play, a combination of sculpture, time-based media, and process documentation by artist and Webster alumna Emily Francisco.

Francisco, who earned her BFA in Sculpture from Webster in 2008, will discuss her work at an Artist Talk held Friday, Jan. 31, noon – 1 p.m.. in Sverdrup Building, room 123.

The exhibit opening will take place Friday, Jan. 31, 6-8 p.m. at the Cecille R. Hunt Gallery, 8342 Big Bend Blvd.

Learning to Play continues through March 1. The exhibition is free and open to the public.

Francisco describes her work:

“I activate FM frequencies with a violin and an antique piano keyboard tuned to trigger systems of stations. These recontextualized objects function as access points to voices and songs competing to be heard. I am not interested in simply exploring noise. 
I am interested in creating magical moments. Sound invades the body, and everyday we encounter constant clusters of noises and industrial static. 
I am trying to understand the physical properties of sound. I am interested in disruptions—how they distort the way in which information is received and processed, while also highlighting events.”

Tags: , , ,