Building Leadership: GLA Fellows Reflect on 2013 Experience

| October 30, 2013
President Stroble and Global Leadership Academy director Laura Rein congratulate the 2013 cohort.

The 2013 cohort of Webster University’s Global Leadership Academy (GLA) was celebrated Oct. 25 in a ceremony and reception for 23 Academy fellows, who have spent the last year building the distributed leadership that is critical to Webster’s success.

Designed by a collaborative curriculum team, the Academy was designed to provide people with the leadership training, tools and attributes to lead, regardless of their position or unit within the University.

“Over 100 people have either served to design the curriculum, participated in the first two cohorts, or have been selected to participate in 2014,” said President Beth Stroble. “This distributed leadership from all corners of the university speaks to the power of the GLA because the goals of the GLA are to invest in the people of Webster University: to provide the leadership tools and the understanding of the university so that they can play their distinct role in helping the university achieve its mission.”

Stroble presented graduation certificates to each Academy graduate. Laura Rein, dean of University Libraries and director of the Global Leadership Academy, and Erik Palmore, director of the Faculty Development Center and co-director of the Academy, also congratulated the new graduates, as did members the Curriculum Committee and the 2012 GLA cohort.

An Eye-Opening Experience
GLA leaders congratulate Peter Maher, professor in Math and Computer Science.

Rein, Stroble and Palmore congratulate GLA fellow Peter Maher, professor in Math and Computer Science.

The experience was enriching and eye-opening for the graduates, who serve the University in a variety of roles and will apply what they’ve taken from GLA in a variety of avenues.

“Many of my colleagues said to me, ‘You are a global leader now,'” said JP Wang, associate professor, Math & Computer Science. “Though I am skeptical about that, I am certainly equipped well with a global leadership view to the University. My experience with GLA is rich and valuable. I am a faculty member teaching students every day, a program lead in the department and leadership team member of the school. With a broader leadership view, I can serve these roles more diligently and effectively.”

Personal Growth, Stronger Relationships

The GLA not only builds leadership capacity, it creates new relationships and strengthens existing ones.

“It has created lasting relationships that I will use to move Webster University forward and has reinforced my commitment to the university,” said 2013 fellow Karl Sterner, senior director, Graduate Admission.

Of course, for each fellow the GLA also fosters personal growth.

“During the GLA, I have personally grown as a leader in many dimensions,” said Betsy Schmutz, associate vice president and chief human resources officer. “I have realized that I have talents to help others develop their leadership roles and that this is an area I want to include in my future roles at Webster University. This was an incredible opportunity to get to know fellows in the cohort in a way that I would have never seen them in their normal roles at Webster – we have a pool of extraordinary talent to draw from and I plan to use it.”

Congratulations to the Global Leadership Academy 2013 cohort graduates! Check this Webster Today post to learn about the 2014 cohort and hear more from the 2013 cohort about their GLA experience.

Tags: ,