May 2013 Employees of the Month

| June 13, 2013

Donna Church, reference librarian, Library, and Ellen Bout, business office associate, Leiden Campus, share the Employe Spotlight honors for May 2013.

Church

Church

Donna Church‘s nominator says Donna has the ability to take initiative while keeping everyone in the loop. “Her professional standards and her caring about our students and their needs are extremely high.”

The nominator shared an email from a student at Webster’s Fort Sam location in San Antonio. “As a returning student, I had to reacquaint myself with research techniques.”I contacted the main campus library on a Saturday and met an angel named Donna Church.

“I couldn’t have come in contact with a nicer, more knowledgeable, patient, helpful, funny and professional person. I commend the university on its selection of such an outstanding staff member.”

The nominator says Donna’s accomplishments are impressive on a weekly basis, but having a student take the time to recognize her efforts is particularly meaningful.

Donna, who has worked at the Library Reference Desk since December 2010, says the best part of her job helping students and faculty find the perfect sources for their research. “It’s always exciting to track down a mystery item, especially the time I used the “Way Back Machine” Internet archive to locate a document¬† that had been removed from a website.”

“Winning this award means that the Library and I are doing a good job of meeting the needs of our clients, which is always my first priority,” Donna says. “My colleagues are the best group of people I have ever worked with.”

Donna chose a day off with pay as her prize.

Bout

Bout

Ellen Bout‘s nominator describes her as a tireless, caring professional who is also very practical and process oriented. Ellen is willing to jump in and help out wherever she is needed, including recently overseeing a temporary worker filling in when a colleague was on extended leave.

“It’s teamwork like this that show’s Ellen’s true character: professional, self-sacrificing and strong,” the nominator says.

During her 15 years with the Lieden campus, Ellen has contributed to and worked in several positions, including housing officer and librarian, as well as her current role as financial aid liaison.

Ellen often acts as a sounding board for students who need advice on financial matters. “While being exceptionally helpful to students, she also helps them learn to take responsibility and gain the important skills they will need in their future professional and personal lives,” the nominator adds.

Ellen enjoys the international environment at the Leiden campus. She became keenly aware of the support of her colleagues and the students during a recent time of mourning for two Leiden students.

Ellen chose a day off with pay as her prize.

Tags:

Comments (1)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. Deanna Snowden says:

Hooray for Donna!