Students’ Art, Photography Recognized in the Community

| January 30, 2013

Ryan Duffy, “Flamingo,” April, 2012

Photography major Ryan Duffy will have his solo show, Ryan Duffy: Photographs, displayed at The Sheldon Art Galleries in St. Louis, Feb. 22 – June 15. An opening reception will be held Friday, Feb. 22, 5 – 7 p.m., in the Ann Lee and Wilfred Konneker Gallery.

Currently interning with the Sheldon Galleries, Duffy is a senior in the School of Communications with a double major in photography and management.

He used Holga and Diana cameras to create the dreamlike views of landscapes, gardens and domestic scenes in his show. “I found my subjects all around me, but in places I’ve never seen,” he explains.

“They were in old neighborhoods, backyards and fading businesses; places many would ignore, but where I would find the most remarkable things.”

Sheldon Gallery hours are Tuesdays, noon – 8 p.m.; Wednesdays – Fridays, noon – 5 p.m.; Saturdays, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m., and one hour prior to Sheldon performances and during intermission. Admission is free. For more information on exhibitions, visit the galleries’ website at thesheldon.org/galleries.asp.

* * *

Grey’s ‘Idleness’ Named ‘Best Arts Blog’

Webster art student Jason Grey‘s blog, “Hours of Idleness,” was recognized by the Riverfront Times as the “Best Arts Blog” of 2013. Grey is a senior with a double major in art and education.

“‘Hours of Idleness’ focuses on the whimsies of its author, Jason Gray, a photographer and artist whose work showcases the people and places of St. Louis,” says the Riverfront Times. “As its name suggests, you can get lost in this blog for hours.”

Grey writes that he was so surprised to be chosen for the honor that he fumbled his acceptance speech. “I’d like to properly atone here for this flub by properly thanking my lovely wife for her extreme patience in allowing me to skip innumerable dinners with her in order to spend it with my computer, the Riverfront Times for being awesome…and my fantastic readers who have been with me for some or all of the four years that I have been writing Hours of Idleness.”

Read the “2013 RFT Web Awards Winners” in the Riverfront Times.

Read Grey’s blog here: http://hoursofidleness.wordpress.com.

Tags: