November 2012 Employees of the Month

| December 10, 2012

Department chair Jeffrey Carter, left, surprises Jean with news of her employee award at a department gathering in the Recital Hall. “We enjoyed her surprise and appreciation, and we showered her with love,” said Carter.

Jean Huber, representative, Department of Music, and Julia Smith, community relations coordinator, Fort Bliss, share the November 2012 Employee of the Month honors.

Jean Huber consistently “turns out a tremendous amount of work, but the second spring term each year is a remarkable one for her,” says her nominator.

During those eight weeks, the Department of Music holds recitals nearly every night as well as numerous ensemble concerts and end-of-term faculty and guest recitals. “Each event requires a printed program with program notes, staffing and, in many cases, forms and permissions.”

In addition, during the April enrollment process, Jean personally deals with more than 200 students who wish to take applied lessons in music. Jean manages to do all this extra work, plus her regular responsibilities and she handles it all with grace and good humor.

“Jean is a star, and she deserves the Employee Spotlight Award.”

Jean celebrates her 17th anniversary with the Department of Music in January. “I love my job,” she says. “I have the pleasure of hearing music all day, every day, and sometimes many pieces simultaneously. It’s a perfect place for me as music has always been in my life.”

Jean enjoys working with the students and the faculty, because they are “interesting and complex and I have a great deal of respect for them.” She likes the fact that her days are varied and there are always new challenges and ideas to facilitate. “It’s a very creative environment.”

“To see and hear the progress of the music students as they grow is thrilling. It brings an inexplicable joy inside me,” says Jean. “The students and faculty inspire me in my artistic life and infuse all parts of my life with a sense of awe. That’s what working in the arts does for you — especially here at Webster where we engage the ‘whole person,’ not just the musician.

Jean chose a day off with pay as her prize.

Julia Smith‘s nominator says her contributions to the overall mission of the Fort Smith campus have resulted in increased enrollments during the past three academic terms.

“She performed exceptionally during this period, conducting several training sessions with staff regarding degree programs offered and the documents required for student changes,” says the nominator. “She also arranged the Wounded Warrior Education Fair sponsored by Fort Bliss in celebration of the location’s 35th anniversary.”

Julia took it upon herself to mentor another staff member in the duties performed by a community relations coordinator to ensure continuity in the position. She keeps her skills sharp and improves her job performance by continually enrolling in courses that support her professional development.

“She is invaluable to this organization and specifically to the success of Fort Bliss,” says her nominator.

Julia has been with Webster 11 years, starting at the Stana Teresa Metro location, where she moved from the position of department assistant to community relations coordinator, before coming to Fort Bliss.

Julia enjoys interacting with the students and helping them by “constructing a concerted path from start to graduation.”

“I’m honored and humbled to be selected for this award as it exemplifies the appreciation and attention given to my efforts to make Webster the best University globally.”

Julia chose a day off with pay as her prize.

Tags:

Comments (2)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. Chris Jones says:

Congratulations to you Jean. Well deserved!

2. Alice Nelson says:

Congratulations, Jean! I’m glad you’re getting the recognition you deserve, for all you do for us and for Webster!