Students from San Diego, St. Louis Campuses Study Travel Journalism in Scotland

| August 8, 2012
Travel Journalism - Scotland

A short-term study course brought students from Webster’s home campus in St. Louis and the San Diego campus location together in Scotland. Pictured: Webster students in front of Edinburgh Castle.

For the second year, Webster University students are studying travel journalism in Scotland with School of Communications adjunct professor Linda Williams. This year, the short-term study abroad trip involves students from multiple majors and multiple U.S. campuses.

The class is on a two-week tour of Scotland. The first week was spent based on the Isle of Arran in a 150-year-old farmhouse overlooking the Mull of Kintyre. The second week will be spent in Edinburgh and Glasgow.

Journalism major Julia Gabbert and international relations major Jane McKibben from Webster’s home campus; and Donna Rogers, a graduate management student from the San Diego campus location, are on the trip, which covers both remote and urban areas of Scotland.

Once back in the U.S., the students will edit their travel stories and photos for print and online.

Gabbert, who also writes for The Journal student newspaper, says, “This class is great. I’m getting to see all sides of Scotland from countryside to cities. It’s a really beautiful country.”

Posting to the blog set up for this trip, Rogers captured the challenges and the excitement a graduate student faces in adding a short-term study abroad course:

After working 28 days in a row, completing a term paper, two finals and surviving 48 hours with zero sleep, I wasn’t as giddy as I could have been, but the fact remained that I was on my way to my very first stamp in my five-year-old passport.

I walked out of customs in search of three women I’d never met but with whom I was to spend the next two weeks. Five hours later, we began our first adventure together…

The adventure is a special one for Williams, whose mother grew up on the Isle of Arran and whose father’s parents were also from Scotland. “I love bringing students to a place so close to me,” she says. Williams was a news television producer for 26 years before joining Webster University as a full-time academic advisor in the School of Communications.

To follow the students on their trip — when they have Internet, that is — visit: http://2012scotlandtraveljournalism.weebly.com.

Be Sociable, Share!

Tags: , ,

Comments (1)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. Nazira Adieva says:

Have a great trip ladies!!

Donna, you must share your experience when you return to San Diego. Be safe and have fun!

Nazira
      San Diego Campus