Alumna Story: Security Management at Fort Bragg Has Cruce Ready to Move

| June 1, 2012

One of the advantages of Webster University’s network of campus locations is its flexibility for busy adult students on the move. The academic quality and consistency of Webster programs at locations around the world provides comfort to students who are in the military, married to military personnel, or who are simply ready to move wherever their career takes them.

From innovative programs at metro locations to a relationship with the U.S. Department of Defense that goes back nearly 40 years, Webster’s commitment to high-quality, cost-effective graduate programs prepares students for great opportunities and purposeful careers.

One alumna who speaks to this story is Jamie Cruce, a 2007 graduate from Webster’s campus location in Fort Bragg, N.C.

Adjunct professor Albert Kittredge, mentor and chairperson of the Business and Organizational Security Management (BOSM) program at Fort Bragg, alerted Webster Today to Cruce’s story. Kittredge keeps up with graduates through his affiliation with the American Society for Industrial Security (ASIS), which has a local chapter in Fayetteville, N.C.

“Many of the Webster BOSM/SECR students belong to the organization as a way to network with other professionals and to keep up with the security industry,” says Kittredge.

“Jamie is one of them. She has used her dual degrees in Business and Organizational Security Management and Information Technology Management (ITM) to great advantage.”

When Kittredge learned of Cruce’s recent promotion to security manager of Lockheed Martin’s F-22 program, he asked her to share her story about how Webster helped propel her security career to such lofty heights. Her story will be published in the June issue of the Fayetteville ASIS newsletter. An edited version of her story appears below.

Cruce: Webster’s Campus Network a Major Advantage

Jamie Cruce

Alumna Jaime Cruce is “pretty proud” of what she has accomplished during her short career and says Webster University played a big part in helping her get there.

Cruce’s story begins in 2003 when she was living in Fayetteville and was hired by Lockheed Martin as an assistant to the program manager with a small responsibility for security.

“This was my first exposure to the security profession, and I found that I really enjoyed it,” Cruce says. “It felt like I was doing something important, and I was interested and proud to be a part of it.”

Within a year, she was responsible for the security of four offices, a position eventually leading to a promotion to operations support manager and assistant facility security officer.

To continue her career advancement and become more marketable, Cruce realized she needed to earn a degree in her chosen field. After researching schools in her area, she discovered Webster’s Business and Organizational Security Management master’s degree program at Fort Bragg.

“In addition to the fact that this school had a Security Management master’s program — rare in 2005 — another bonus was the satellite campuses across the country and the online option,” Cruce says.

“My husband is in the military, so for me this was a major advantage as I have known far too many people who started school, then moved and never finished.”

Cruce enrolled and began taking courses in 2005. The Fort Bragg campus promoted double majors, so she decided it was worth the additional classes and chose Information Technology Management as her second master’s degree.

In the mean time, the opportunity for a full-time facility security officer opened in her office and she was selected for the position. Then in 2006, Cruce’s husband received orders to teach ROTC at the University of Central Florida and she was able to transfer to Lockheed’s consolidated clearance processing Security Operations Center (SOC) in Orlando, Fla.

“Before long, I was managing the SOC and was involved in the development of automated tools and process efficiencies allowing a high level of processing with minimal employee resources,” says Cruce.

Her double major turned out to be very beneficial in the operations center position, helping her remain just a little more marketable than the next person. In May 2007, she graduated with straight A’s.

“It was a very proud moment for me because I had never imagined going to graduate school, much less doing so well. Webster played a huge part in my professional confidence and in learning to assert myself as a leader, applying myself and,  yes — managing my aversion to public speaking.”

For the past three years, Cruce worked on creating a security program for a new business unit which now has 17 facilities.

Now, it’s on to her next adventure: moving to Marietta, Ga., where she has been hired to be security program manager for the F-22 sustainment program.

“I am super excited,” says Cruce.

Comments (1)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. Carolyn Cottrell - Kansas City says:

Great story! Ms. Cruce, congratulations on all your achievements. Mr. Kittredge, she had a great advisor!