June 2011 Employee Spotlight

| June 27, 2011

Denise Buchholtz, interactive media coordinator, Marketing; and Irina Leslie, interim assistant director, Bureau Naval Medical and Surgical (Bolling AFB) Washington, D.C., share the Employee Spotlight honors for June 2011.

Denise Buchholtz‘s nominator says streaming a lecture or live event across the Internet is not as easy as it may seem, unless you work with Denise.

Recently Buchholtz was part of the team that live-streamed nine University events, including five CCO and three CFO candidate interviews and a presentation by author Julie Macintosh, which all “went off without a hitch.”

“Although faced with a number of technical challenges to make the streams happen ā€” different times, different locations and different crews ā€” Denise exuded a quiet confidence that it would all work out,” her nominator says. “It did, and her efforts are worth of recognition.”

Buchholtz says being involved with technology keeps her job fresh and challenging. “There is always something new to conquer and learn if you are willing, and being flexible definitely makes things go smoother.”

The variety of people that make up the Webster community makes working here a great experience says Buchholtz.

Being nominated for the Employee Spotlight Award came as a big surprise. “I’m definitely not one to call attention to myself, so it’s very nice to know I’m appreciated,” she says.

Buchholtz chose a day off with pay as her prize.

Irina Leslie recently left her position with Webster’s campus in Kansas City, where she had been for more than ten years, to join her husband in Washington, D. C. She is currently working on a temporary assignment at the Bureau Naval Medical and Surgical, a satellite of Bolling Air Force.

Irina held many positions at the Kansas City campus, most recently that of financial aid coordinator, guiding students through the process of applying for financial aid. She also served as registrar at the campus.

Originally from the Ukraine, where she had been an engineer, Irina immigrated to the states in the 1990s. She earned a master’s degree in marketing at the Kansas City campus and is credited with creating their most popular tag line, Free Money for Your Honey, for a program where application fees are waived for a period of time around Valentine’s Day.

“Students on this campus know Irina for her friendliness and willingness to help in any situation,” her nominator says. “She will be missed very much by her colleagues in Kansas City, but our good wishes follow her to D.C., and we’d like to honor her work and friendship with the Spotlight Award.”

Receiving the Spotlight Award from the Kansas City campus means a lot to Irina. “It indicates that my input and efforts to make Webster University the best experience for everyone were appreciated.”

“I enjoy working with people,” Irina says. “And this is why every time I make a difference for a student, staff or faculty member, I feel that I do exactly what Iā€™m supposed to do. The whole Webster philosophy is to treat everyone well, which comes naturally to me, and this is the reason I like my job.”

Irina chose the $100 savings bond as her prize.

Comments (2)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. Jennifer Gammage says:

Congratulations Denise! šŸ™‚

2. Eric B. Alexander says:

Congratulations Denise, Well deserved! šŸ™‚