May 2011 Employee Spotlight

| May 31, 2011

Tracey Brenner, coordinator, School of Education, and Sharon Hitchcock, librarian, Geneva Campus, share the Employee Spotlight honor for May 2011.

Tracey Brenner‘s nominator says she has handled the task of placing student teachers during difficult economic times when schools have cut back on their budgets and there are fewer openings available to students than ever before.

The nominator credits Brenner with being persistent, courteous and professional while carefully negotiating the placements with school representatives.

“Tracey is supportive to others when she is struggling herself, and she’s able to keep a clear head while making excellent decisions,” says the nominator.

“We are so lucky to have her.”

Employed with the School of Education four years, Tracey says her history with the School began many before when she was a student employee.

“It was wonderful when I had the opportunity to return and work with some of the same people I had worked with years before,” Tracey says. “My mother worked at Webster University for many years, so I really enjoy being a second generation Webster employee.

Tracey agrees it takes a lot of patience and persistence to do her job, but what makes it all worthwhile is receiving a phone call from a parent thanking her for being so helpful to their son or daughter.

“I am fortunate to work with many great people that I consider to be my friends,” Brenner says. “Without them I really could not do my job.”

Brenner chose a day off with pay as her prize.

Sharon Hitchcock is a “treasure trove of information,” according to her nominator. “She’s always willing to help with patience and a smile and she truly is a valued colleague.”

Her nominator says Hitchcock helps faculty and students with calm, clear explanations about anything from how to use Connections to the Geneva campus database system to how to create a research file.

The Geneva campus is an English language university located in the French-speaking section of Switzerland. They have one program in health care management program taught in French for French-speaking students.

Hitchcock’s nominator praises the way she helped each of the French-speaking students set up their Connection accounts and instructed them on how to use the Library and get the most out of it.

The French-speaking students really appreciated her help, says Hitchcock, and she feels her services to them are a valuable outreach to that group as well as – via the students – the Francophone community in general. “And I get to practice my French,” she adds.

Receiving the Employee Spotlight award is a nice thank you, says Hitchcock. “I feel my colleagues in Geneva deserve recognition so it is a sweet surprise that someone chose to recommend me.”

Hitchcock chose a day off with pay as her prize.

Comments (3)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. Marilyn Heaven says:

Congratulations Tracey, you have earned this and much more.
    The SOE is so much richer for all the blood, sweat and tears you have given them.
    The SOE is so lucky that you came to work for them.

2. Michal Sela says:

Well-deserved, Sharon!  Thanks for all you do!

Michal

3. Davide says:

Congratulations, Sharon !!