Longtime Advisor Joe Ancona to Retire May 31

| May 23, 2011

From Tom Nickolai, director, Academic Advising:

Legendary graduate business advisor Joe Ancona will retire May 31. Joe has been an adjunct instructor at Webster since 1977 and has served as a team appointment advisor for the past 25 years. Joe had earned both his B.S. and M.B.A. while working full-time. He was the ideal advisor for the working student since he had been one himself.

Joe had served as a management mentor in the old graduate school and was the first online advisor. Joe designed the first online advising course for staff and served as one of the primary instructors. As a result Joe was well known throughout the extended campus system. He helped with presentations at the directors meeting and was a frequent participant at the directors fair.

Joe’s mobility has slowed down in recent months because of knee problems. As a result he has been working from home and asked permission to miss his last graduate advisors meeting. Joe also declined a retirement reception. Instead he enjoyed a small retirement luncheon with the advising front office staff, “his girls” as Joe calls them.

Joe’s email is still open. If you would like to congratulate Joe on his long career at Webster and wish him well in his second retirement, please do so. The address is: anconajo@webster.edu.

Comments (5)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. Tyann Cherry says:

Congratulations Joe! I can remember meeting you when I first started working in advising. Your positive attitude and work ethic are to be admired and I have great respect for both. I appreciated the opportunity to work with you!

2. Donna Gilmore says:

Joe, I am really going to miss you and I hope that have a wonderful retirement.  YOU DESERVE IT!!!!!!!!!!

3. Larry Furrer says:

Joe,
    You have been a good friend over the years, as well as a good mentor. I’ll always remember your persistence in swimming laps and the article you wrote about it in the Journal. Best of luck in your retirement.
    Larry

4. Angela Sherman says:

Joe,
    Congratulations! I can’t imagine Webster without you! You will be truly missed by all!! Enjoy your retirement – you definitely deserve only the best!!
    Angela

5. john Lee says:

Congratulations JOE !!!