From Geneva to St. Louis

| July 30, 2010

‘Getting to Know You’

Nickie Greenwood visits with Walter Bargen following his poetry reading at the St. Louis campus. Photo by Claudia Burris

One of the perks for staff members participating in the Global Staff Exchange program is getting to meet their international colleagues in person.

“After 27 years with Geneva, I thought a visit to St. Louis would be an excellent opportunity for me to get to know the home campus and meet the people I’ve been in contact with for years,” says Nickie Greenwood, personnel and office manager, Geneva Campus.

Greenwood accomplished that goal — and much more — during her March 20 – April 2 visit to the St. Louis campus. With human resources as her main area of responsibility in Geneva, Greenwood especially enjoyed getting to know the human resources staff and procedures at the home campus. She also spent time in a number of other departments, including:  Academic Affairs, Study Abroad, Academic Advising, Business, Information Technology and Financial Aid.

“Everything in St. Louis operates on a larger scale,” Greenwood says. “And being there has given me a clearer picture of the University’s worldwide program.”

While on campus, Greenwood stayed in a University-owned house within walking distance of offices, the library, cafeteria, swimming pool and the theatre.

“I’ve travelled a lot and been to the U.S. several times, but this was the first time I visited St. Louis,” Greenwood says. “I enjoyed the campus layout and the nice mixture of old houses and modern buildings, which blend well in the neighbourhood.”

Among the campus events Greenwood attended were: a luncheon honouring the U.S. Ambassador to Austria, hosted by President Beth Stroble; a reading by Missouri’s first Poet Laureate, Walter Bargen, introduced by the state’s second Poet Laureate, David Clewell, professor, English; and a guest lecture by Darryl Burton, a man who served 24 years in jail for a crime he did not commit. She also attended a Repertory Theatre play, “The Fantasticks,” in the Loretto-Hilton Theatre.

In addition, Greenwood visited several St. Louis area attractions: Forest Park, the Missouri Botanical Gardens, the Gateway Arch and Old Court House and the historic town of Kimmswick, Mo.

“I enjoyed many things, but what stands out most is the kindness and hospitality of my St. Louis colleagues,” says Greenwood. “Warm thanks to everyone who made this happen.”

Comments (1)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. Virginia Currat says:

We have all enjoyed hearing of Nickie’s experiences in St. Louis – a wonderful program for all to take advantage of.