sea2

Webster University students and faculty

14 students and five faculty members from Webster University attended the 15th Annual Self Employment in the Arts (SEA) Conference, February 20-21, in Lisle, Illinois.  The two-day event supports aspiring artists by providing them with the entrepreneurial knowledge and skills they need to establish and maintain a career as an independent artist.

Associate Professors Barrett Baebler and Joseph Roberts presented and moderated the professional development experience for the group. During the conference, Coleman Faculty Fellow Julia Griffey presented a panel on utilizing social media platforms for launching a business. Associate Professor Joseph Roberts presented opening remarks and introduced Jade Simmons, former Miss Illinois and Friday’s keynote speaker.  Coleman Fellows Chris Sagovac and Kathy Corley were also in attendance.

sea1

Kristie Lyon

Kristie Lyon, an undergraduate student pursuing a Certificate in Entrepreneurship at Webster, received a Judge’s Choice Award for her photography at the SEA Conference.  “Through my entrepreneurship courses at Webster and my experience at the SEA Conference, and I am better able to think outside the box, lean on others, pull people into my idea and make things happen with knowledge, understanding and putting myself out there,” she said.  “It is exciting to meet people just like me who are doing what they love and getting paid for it.  I know now that this can be me.”

To learn more about this and other activities, contact Webster’s Entrepreneurship Club President, Gypsi, at gypsistudio@gmail.com.  To learn more about Webster University’s Certificates in Entrepreneurship, visit this website: http://www.webster.edu/catalog/2014-2015/undergraduate-catalog/certificates/entrepreneurship.html.  For additional information, contact Webster’s director of the Entrepreneurship Program, Dr. Joe Roberts, at joeroberts@webster.edu.

Tagged with: