Humans of Webster’s International Human Rights: Alexandra Lubbe

The “Humans of HRTS” met with Alexandra (Alex) Lubbe, a senior in the International Human Rights program. She interned with Arch City Defenders during the Fall 2017 semester.

1. What is an interesting fact about you?
Last summer my family and I went on a hot air balloon ride, so I have been in a hot air balloon before and it was really fun.

Photo credit: Jordan Palmer

2. Where did you study abroad and what were some of your favorite experiences while there?

I studied abroad in Leiden last spring. It was the best time of my life. I met so many cool people there. All of my friends were from all over the world – South Africa, Pakistan, Serbia, and Morocco – so that was really cool to learn about everyone’s cultures. I also got to travel a lot while I was there. I traveled to the campuses in (Athens) Greece and in Geneva (Switzerland). I did a trip to Budapest and a trip to Bulgaria. Getting to explore Europe while I was over there was one of the highlights of my study abroad experience.

3. Why did you decide to study human rights?

In high school, I started getting more into human rights issues. Initially, I focused on women’s rights and girls’ rights, especially girls’ rights to education. I was really into Malala and all the work that she was doing. When I saw that Webster had an international human rights program, I thought that was so cool and it really fit into what I was interested in.

4. What was your experience like with Arch City Defenders?

Arch City Defenders is a non-profit law firm in downtown Saint Louis and they practice a holistic defense model, which means they do legal work for marginalized people in Saint Louis. They go a step beyond just the legal work, helping with housing and jobs, all the social work issues that come after. Even if someone is successful in court, there are still a lot of issues that follow. When I was interning there, I helped with the things that were more on the social work side; I helped create some resource guides for different things like housing and utilities assistance, clothing assistance, food assistance, stuff like that. I did get to work a bit interviewing some people who were arrested at the protest after the Stockley verdict, too. Overall I had a really good experience.

5. What do you want to do after you graduate?
The perfect dream would be to go to grad school and possibly get a master’s degree in sociology, and then hopefully get my Ph.D. and become a professor. That is what I would really like to do so I continue to study all of these issues.

——–

Interview credit to Webster University Institute for Human Rights and Humanitarian Studies. Thank you for the inspiring conversation!