Patti Kelley, M.S.N. 2006, Receives 2012 Excellence in Nursing Award

Patti Kelley

Patti Kelley, M. S. in Nursing 2006 with a Nurse Leader focus, recently received a St. Louis Magazine 2012 Excellence in Nursing Award for making a difference in the lives of her patients and colleagues. Kelley, who is Vice President of Nursing/CNO (Chief Nursing Officer) at SSM St. Mary’s Health Center, tied as winner in the Management/Nurse Executive/Clinical category.

She received her award, along with 70 other nursing professionals, at an April 19 reception and ceremony.

Kelley said she felt “very honored and humbled” to receive an Excellence in Nursing Award. “The group of nominees were outstanding and the panel of judges prestigious,” she said. “I am in the role I always wanted and have felt like I was making a difference. The recognition I received just validated the path I have taken.”

Colleagues praised Kelley for her leadership as CNO during a year-long presidential search at SSM St. Mary’s Health Center. They said Kelley encouraged teamwork and led by example, with the result that the hospital earned high marks for quality and patient satisfaction during this crucial period.

A nurse for 25 years, Kelley became CNO at St. Mary’s in 2008. As CNO, she helped decrease overtime for the health center’s nursing staff and put into effect a successful patient-care model.

Kelley had high praise for her Webster education.

“I loved my time at Webster,” she said, “and find that there is rarely a day I don’t use something I learned in my M.S.N. program.  The classes I took as part of the emphasis in leadership track helped me to think differently and be open to the opportunity of continuously learning from other leaders I interact with on a daily basis.

“The theory in particular has helped me to guide nursing practice and take us in a direction that will continuously improve the patient experience at St. Mary’s.”

Be Sociable, Share!