Alumni and Faculty Authors Discuss Books at Fallfest

Dan Coughlin

Dan Coughlin

Many were in attendance at the “Meet the Authors” book signing and reception in October including Webster President Beth Stroble. At the event, alumni and faculty discussed their work and had books available for purchase.

“I wanted to write a book that a business manager could pick up and use over the course of a three-year period to generate better sustainable business results for his or her organization,” explained MAT graduate and adjunct faculty Dan Coughlin. “The book guides the reader through a series of steps and covers what I consider to be the main topics and issues that a business manager faces when taking over a new group or wanting to refocus a current group. I landed on the analogy of professional auto racing (NASCAR, IndyCar Series, Formula 1) as a way of explaining what a business manager goes through in order to achieve success.”

According to Coughlin, about 10% of the book is about stories and analogies from auto racing, 70% is about user-friendly, practical processes that managers can use right away to focus on a particular aspect of their job and the remaining 20% is about real-life business stories from his consulting work with companies such as McDonald’s, Marriott, Coca-Cola, Prudential, Toyota, and the St. Louis Cardinals as well as stories from Apple, Disney, and Google.

“I have wonderful memories of earning my MAT at Webster. I went to a large undergraduate university so I was amazed by the direct contact at Webster.”

Coughlin has more than 100 articles in his Free Resource Center.

Florence Chambers

Florence Chambers

MAT alum Florence Chambers said, her book “A Time To Remember; Memoirs of an Educator,” is a reflection of her years as an educator, combined with select life experiences. “I was inspired to write it as I was reminiscing about my own life’s journey and wondering if there could be some young teacher or person who might be inspired to pursue some goal or dream they had. Webster was another stepping stone in my career. Our classes were filled with lively discussion and interactions. The projects helped to broaden my perspective as a teacher. And after 38 years, I still enjoy teaching!”

Alum Nancy Doering wrote “Reality Check: Demystifying the Doctor Patient Relationship” after a trip to the emergency room. “I wrote the book because of a driving need to prevent others from making some of the mistakes I made during an extended period of serious illness. It is my way of passing forward knowledge painfully gained (no pun intended) so others might be spared.”

President Stroble shaking hands at authors event.

Jan Greenberg

Jan Greenberg

Participating authors from the School of Education included:

Marilynne Bradley, MAT ’75, artist and author, “St. Louis in Watercolor: the Architecture of a City”
• Nancy Doering, ’94, MAT ’98, MA ’02, “Reality Check: Demystifying the Doctor Patient Relationship”
Florence Cannon Chambers, ’77, “A Time to Remember”
Mary Sennewald, ’65, “Road Schooling Ryan”
Dan Coughlin, adjunct faculty, “The Management 500: A High-Octane Formula for Business Success”
Nancy Hall Jones, MAT ’92, “The Grandpaws”
Jan Greenberg, adjunct faculty and former Webster Board of Directors member, “Side by Side: New Poems Inspired by Art from Around the World”